Thursday 8 January 2015

Sº4 Mag - Ariel Amaral (a SUP'n Girls Paddle Chick) Interview, December 2014.

One of our own SUP'n Girls Paddle Chicks was recently interviewed by Sº4 Mag. 
Enjoy the article. 

Link to the Sº4 Mag article - click here

PDF Version of the Sº4 Mag article - click here

Transcript:



Okay, if you looked up the words ‘inspirational’ and ‘successful’ in the dictionary, you would see Ariel Amaral’s picture besides both words. Then again if you looked up ‘mermaid’ you’d probably find her picture there as well. Ariel lives in the water, she can’t live without it. Not only does she participate in sports that encompass it, but even she agrees she can’t live without water. From surfing to Stand Up Paddleboarding, Ariel does it all. She even gives back by stating a few organizations and societies to promote the sports she’s part of. I hope you all get to know Ariel the way I did, because she really is a remarkable person.

Tell us about yourself
I don’t know if it came from the name ARIEL and the reference to the Little Mermaid that I received around 8 years old but I have always been drawn to water in any form. I grew up swimming, scuba diving and snowboarding as well as playing just about every sport, in particular Martial Arts which my father got me into at a young age, giving me the strength and focus to go after my dreams.
What was it that got you into surfing/what attracted you to it?
Ever since I can remember, I had the innate sense to try to stand on water with what ever random pool toy I had. There was something about surfing that I was drawn to just from movies and family friends living on the ocean as I did not grow up around water that I could swim in. When I completed high school, I considered moving to Hawaii to learn to surf but in the end I decided to go to school and picked Dalhousie University on the Atlantic Ocean. There I took up winter surfing and would go when ever I could get a ride and eventually bought my first board and wetsuit as the waters there are frigid in winter. I was hooked from my very first time out despite the fact that it was well below freezing out and there were ice chunks floating in the ocean with no real waves in site.
Were your parents worried/nervous when you first started?
My parents were concerned that I would get too much into surfing and not complete my schoolwork but as I completed my 4 years of school, they definitely became more supportive. In my final year of University, I started the Dalhousie Board Society promoting all board sports in the East Coast, and loved the community aspect of getting students involved.
It’s been said that skateboarding and surfing translate well with each other – do you skate as well?
I do long board but the sport that translated the best for me is snowboarding. I decided to snowboard when I was about 13 years old and probably one of the only females on a board. At that time, even my local hill only allowed snowboarders on 2 runs and my school would not allow us on school ski trips. Even in grade school, I fought to have equality for snowboarders which came soon after and I have been boarding and teaching snowboarding ever since.
Who’s your favorite pro surfer and why?
I have 2 favourites, Layne Beachley, 7 time World Champion and Stephanie Gilmore, 5 time World Champion.
I was always inspired by Layne’s drive and imagine that she must have had many hurdles being a tough female surfer back when she was growing up until she started to beat the boys. Stephanie does everything with such passion and enthusiasm, her smile is addictive and her energy is magnetic.
I was so stoked to be able to attend the Bells Beach Surf Classic in 2008 in Australia and saw Layne and Stephanie battle it out in the finals. It was veteran against rookie and was amazing to watch. They both rode so hard and with such grace, but Stephanie won it in the end.
When the two woman came in from their heat, they rode in together, holding each others boards laughing and smiling and that I thought was the best expression of true surfer spirit and stoke.
Do you consider surfing your hobby or something more than that?
I consider surfing a passion and have recently started competing on my shortboard, longboard and SUP with the Eastern Surf Association.
Stand Up Paddling is something I got into as a cross training tool for surfing in 2010 since I live in an area of Canada surrounded by lakes.
Our lakes get great waves but not usually in the summer months.
Stand Up Paddling has now become more then a passion for me. I teach SUP, Race SUP, Surf SUP and have even done an overnight SUP Adventure. Stand Up has become part of who I am, it is a passion I can easily share with others and can participate in almost all year round (except for those frigid winter moths when all the water freezes over). It has also allowed me to get out surfing more and has helped to build my confidence and comfort in the waves as I now have more ride time and can get into more waves.
Favorite place to go surfing?
I surf the Great Lakes of Canada and the US. I also love Costa Rica, Hawaii and Australia. My heart however, still lays on the Atlantic Ocean and I would have to say that my favourite place to surf is around Halifax Nova Scotia where I first learned.
What would we find you doing if you’re not surfing?
I snowboard all winter, train in the gym in the early spring, I then start to race my Stand Up Paddleboard starting in April through to October which is around when the waves get good on the lakes and I start attending Surf Competitions.
What does your average day look like?
You can find me on the water, either racing, teaching sup or training, in my local gym or pool, or longboarding around my local waterfront with my dog Jett pulling me along or running beside me.
What has surfing taught you?
Surfing has taught me patience more then anything. I am not one to naturally ever stop or wait for much but waves reward you when you are calm and patient. On top of that, id say determination, drive and a love for mother nature.
How do you feel about female participation/representation in the sport?
I am 100% committed to promoting female participation in all sports, however, with surfing, stand up paddling and snowboarding, I am able to be a great role model, a teacher or simply encourager to get woman of all ages to participate. From only 5 years old to 75, all woman will find some enjoyment in or on the water I believe.
I have had great success this summer with a “Paddle and Party in Pink” event where we got a large group of woman all out to lean to Stand Up Paddle to raise money and awareness for Breast Cancer. Next summer I am helping to organize the first Canadian Paddle 4 the Cure. I am so happy to have the opportunity to give back and get more women and families involved in the sport.
What advice do you have for girls wanting to compete in sports that are dominated by guys?
It feels so good to get out there and represent the girls. The strength you will feel by joining in the competition will totally outweigh any negativity you might face, you can do anything you set your mind to and with surfing, you will experience such happiness, love and pride that it is 100% worth the potential nervousness or fear you may experience before you hit the water. Once you are in….you will never want to get out.
What ice cream flavor describes you?
Neapolitan, a little bit of everything, I want to do it all!!!
What are your top three songs that get you pumped?
David Guetta-Louder then words
Flo Rida-Good Feeling
Pharrell Williams-Happy
What can you not live without?
I can’t live without the water, getting in it, playing on it or exploring what is living in it.
Do you have shout outs for anyone? Family, Friends, Sponsors?
HUGE shout out to my amazing sponsors Blu Wave Paddleboards and Aerial Clothing who are there for me in everything I do.
Thank you to my local supporters, Tropical North Surf Shop and Paddle Sport Performance with Quickblade Canada.
Thank you also to Ontario SUP Series, SUP’n Girls, the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation and Fitness Infuzion for Woman, organizations I support and who support me in return.
Lastly but most importantly to my incredible husband and parents who have taught me that I can do anything I set my mind to and who love and support me every step of the way.




No comments:

Post a Comment